I’m sure everyone is busy playing with the new bits from Apple right now, or lusting over the new hardware just announced, so I’m not sure who all will see this, but it’s my slot today for iDevBlogADay, and I’ve got some news to share, so I’m going for it!
I’m so mad at myself right now. The good news is, my new metronome app “Click” was just approved and is Ready for Sale!! The bad news is, I used a promo code to download it before releasing it for sale, and… it’s got a bug. A big ol’ freaking whopper of a bug. Somehow as I finalized my image assets, one of the resources had the wrong name in the Nib file – there was an “@2x” left on the end of the image name in the Nib configuration for the UIImageView. The app runs and loads fine in the simulator, and I swear the final build worked fine on my device too, but apparently the App Store release build is more picky and couldn’t locate the resource. So, one of the key pieces of the interface is invisible. So guess what? I’ll be waiting another week at least for another review. I could possibly ask for an expedited review, seeing as this is a “critical bug,” but the problem is the app isn’t actually even for sale yet, so it’s not like the bug is actually “live.” I don’t really wanna push my luck and/or annoy the review team now and then really need an expedited review later. So, one lesson is, keep testing the crap out of your app even after you submit, and you just might catch something and be able to developer reject your binary before the review starts. The other, real moral of the story is: delay the release of your app at least enough to generate a promo code and try out the released version for yourself. I have no idea when promo codes started working for apps before they’re actually released, but it certainly saved me this time! My thanks to @wtrebella for bringing this to my attention when he was tweeting about releasing Polymer.
I must say though, this isn’t all bad. I’ve been working on this app for over a year. I’ve been wanting to integrate a quality metronome into another app of my, theDrumDictionary, and in future music-related apps. So, this was supposed to be a quick side project in learning Core Audio and how to make a metronome, and since I was going to do it anyway, I figured, why not release a standalone metronome app too? But I didn’t want to make just another metronome app, and as I explored how to differentiate mine from the existing options, it sort of exploded into this very large project with difficult to implement (for me) custom controls and a large amount of Photoshop time designing a unique UI. Needless to say, I’m ready to get this thing out there and see what happens! When it comes to an initial release, I actually came to appreciate the sort of built in waiting period of the app store review time. Being forced to stop coding, it was a great chance for me to finalize my press materials and continue to get the word out about the new app. I was expecting to be done a *lot* sooner than how it turned out, and by the time I submitted the app for review, I knew I was going to be running right up against WWDC. Who’s going to care about some no-name company’s metronome app in the middle of big hardware and software announcements?! If approved during dub-dub, how long should I wait to release the app? Or should I release the app, and just wait until later to do press releases, etc.? Or is it really most beneficial to do a launch all at once – app appearing on new releases, press release, etc? (Great articles from Justine Pratt on marketing, by the way!) Well, now I don’t have much choice! I’ve probably got another whole week to keep up the marketing prep, spread the word to existing DrumDictionary customers, etc., and there’s not much worry about WWDC anymore. I’ve got to release this sometime, and a whole week after the big keynote seems like as good a time as any to me; it’s certainly much better than anytime this week. And, I can confidently run a full on launch blitz with no fear that I’m messing it up by separating the app release from the press release OR driving myself crazy as I wait for days for the right marketing timing knowing that it’s just sitting there ready waiting for me to change the availability date. I suppose I shouldn’t be too mad about it after all! (but let’s face it, I’m pretty pissed). Anyway, maybe this gives you something to think about before you release your next app! And, if you’re curious, head on over to my new Gig Bag Apps website and check out the trailer for Click. Maybe it’ll be a hit; if I ever actually release it